Research and Education Fund
"Research and education are important components in the fight against dental disease because they address cause and prevention, not just the symptoms. The money that we spend today to finance such projects will reap dividends tomorrow in the form of improved oral health and reduced treatment costs for more people."
—John Yamamoto, DDS, MPH, vice president of Professional Services
Ongoing Studies and Their Results
- How dentistry may help people to stop smoking
- Sealants prevent cavities in kids
- The true cost of a cavity
- Crown replacement, other data warehouse studies
Health, Education and Research Fund
Delta Dental's Health, Education and Research Fund allows us to help finance health, education and research projects in dentistry, health and human services, and civic and community affairs.
Two Types of Awards are Available:
- The Dental Health and Education Contribution supports programs that help develop and heighten dental awareness among the public as well as programs that improve health and increase access to professional dental care.
- The Standard Dental Research Grant supports professional research related to dental health, with priority on projects related to the delivery of oral health care, including those with significant potential for improving oral health and reducing treatment costs.
Over the years, the Health, Education and Research Fund has helped support these projects/organizations and many more:
- Children's Dental Health Association of San Diego
- Children's Dental Health Foundation
- Children’s Oral Health Institute
- Columbia University
- Community of Hope, Inc. Dental Clinic
- David Raines Community Health Center
- Dental Alumni And Friends (University of Mississippi)
- Georgia Health Sciences University/College of Dental Medicine Give Kids a Smile Foundation
- Hispanic Dental Society
- Kids in the Klinic
- La Clinica de la Raza
- Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network
- Mobile Health Consultants
- National Children’s Oral Health Foundation
- National Network for Oral Health Access
- Partners in Care Foundation
- Pediatric & Family Medical Center/Eisner Pediatric & Family Medical Center
- San Diego Children's Dental Health Disease Prevention Program
- Santa Barbara Neighborhood clinics
- Smile Keepers Dental Project (Tuolumne County Office of Education)
- Texas Mission of Mercy
- The Oral Cancer Foundation
Delta Dental's Health, Education and Research Fund also awards annual grants to dental schools in several of its states to fund presentation of continuing education courses for dental professionals.
These grants help dentists obtain the continuing education units they need while generating revenue for the dental schools