Website Privacy & Security Policy
1. Our commitment to your privacy
Your privacy is important to us, and we are committed to protecting it. We want you to understand how we use your information and that you have choices about how we use it.
Your privacy is not for sale
We do not sell your information.
Our commitment to children's privacy
We respect children's privacy. We do not market our dental plans or products directly to children. If you are under 18, you may use our website under the guidance of a parent or guardian.
This policy applies to Delta Dental of California, Delta Dental of Pennsylvania and Delta Dental Insurance Company and our affiliate companies along with Delta Dental of New York, Inc.
In this policy, we explain:
- The information we collect online and how we use it
- How to access or correct your information
- Our commitment to website security
- How we use technology to better serve you
- About third-party website links
- Contacting us about your privacy or security
- Effective date of this policy
To understand how your protected health information (PHI) may be used and disclosed and how you can access this information, see our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices.
Your choices (opting out)
We may send you newsletters or promotional emails that are relevant to supporting our relationship with you. If you'd like to stop receiving email and newsletters from us, you can opt out by following the instructions included in each email or newsletter.
3. Information we collect online
We are very careful with your personal information. We collect it through secure, encrypted channels, limit access to it and prohibit its unlawful exposure.
Examples of the information we may collect from you are:
- Your name
- Email address
- Primary enrollee ID number (may include social security number, employee ID or alternate ID number)
- Date of birth
- Credit card information (if you are purchasing dental benefits online)
- For dentists, your license number or tax identification number
We may also collect information about the device you use to access our electronic services.
Why we need your information
We use your information to help us provide you with tools and services related to our dental plans. We collect this information from:
- Your online registration, enrollment or subscription. We collect information from you when you register for online services, enroll in one of our dental plans online or participate in a promotion. We use this information to service your accounts and online transactions. We may also use it to let you know about our products or services that we think you'd like.
- Your account activity. Once your account has been opened, we collect and maintain information about your account activity. This allows us to administer your account and provide the services you have requested.
Email policies (use of your email)
If you are an enrollee in one of our plans, we may use your email address to contact you with information about your plan or to send you information that you have subscribed to or requested from us.
If you are someone who does business with us (e.g., a broker or dental professional in our network) or a potential customer, we may use your email address to contact you with information about our products and services and other important company news that is relevant to your future or current business relationship with us.
Remember, if you decide that you'd like to stop receiving email from us, you can opt out by following the instructions included in each email or newsletter.
Sharing of information
We do not sell your information.
We may share your information with third party companies as necessary to administer your Delta Dental benefits or to provide you with services you have requested from us. These third parties are prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services, and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
We may also share your information as required or permitted by law.
4. How to access or correct your information
As a user of our online services (enrollees, providers, benefits administrators and brokers/consultants), you can edit your email address, password, and your website preferences online.
If you need to change other information:
- Group enrollees: Contact your plan administrator.
- Individual enrollees, providers and benefits administrators: Contact your local Delta Dental member company.
- Brokers/consultants: If you are receiving emails or newsletters from us, you can change your email address and contact information through the "Manage Subscriptions" link in the footer of the email.
5. Our commitment to website security
For fast, secure and effective access, we recommend using the latest updated web browsers (such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari) supported by your device or computer.
Our secure, password-protected website allows you to view private information (for example, eligibility, benefits and claims) and other details online. We use industry-standard firewalls and encryption to protect your information. You need an ID and password to access any online systems that display personal information. Our website features SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) with a digital certificate to enforce a minimum of 128-bit encrypted sessions.
We conduct regular web application vulnerability assessments and quarterly third party tests to ensure all of our externally facing websites/Internet addresses are protected from attack in compliance with industry standards.
6. How we use technology to better serve you
We use different kinds of tracking technology to help us improve our website and our communications to you. For example, we collect tracking information by following your "footsteps" on our website.
A "cookie" is information that we store on your computer. For example, we may set an "ID tag" that allows us to recognize your computer when you visit our website.
We may use different kinds of cookies, depending on which part of our site you visit:
- Persistent cookies: These cookies stay in your browser until you delete them manually or your browser deletes them based on the duration period contained within the persistent cookie's file.
- Non-persistent ("session") cookies: These temporary cookies disappear when you close your browser.
- Flash cookies (also called "Local Shared Objects"): We do not use Flash cookies.
- Retargeting: We work with companies that collect information about your online activities to provide advertising targeted to suit your interests and preferences. For example, you may see certain ads on this website or other websites because we contract with Facebook or similar companies to target our ads based on information we or they have collected, including information that was collected through automated means (such as cookies and web pixels). These companies also use automated technologies to collect information when you click on our ads, which helps track and manage the effectiveness of our marketing efforts..
If you do not wish to receive this type of advertising from us in the future you can opt out using the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page.
The Help menu on your browser will tell you how to stop your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie or how to disable cookies altogether.
If you turn off cookies, you will still be able to access your account and information, but you may not be able to use some of the features on our website.
Other tracking methods
7. Third-party website links
Our web pages may include links to third-party sites, including social media sites, that provide related or helpful information or services. While we try to select quality content and sites, we do not control or operate these sites, and our policies and practices do not apply. We recommend that you review the privacy and security policies of any site you visit before sharing your personal or health information. We use this symbol to let you know when you're leaving our site:
8. Contacting us about your privacy or security
If you have any questions about how we use your personal information, or about our privacy and security policies that we didn't answer on this page, please contact our privacy department:
- Delta Dental Subscriber Services: Privacy Officer
- P.O. Box 997330
- Sacramento, CA 95899-7330
9. Effective date of this policy
This policy is effective as of August 23, 2016. We may change our policy if we begin to use new technology or enhance our security systems, so you should check this page regularly for updates. A notice of material changes to this policy shall be posted to this page.