Broccoli cheese soup
This tasty broccoli soup is packed with tooth- and gum-supporting vitamins K and C. With a boost of calcium and flavor from the added cheese, this soup makes a healthy choice for lunch or dinner.
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 ¾ cups broccoli florets (about 8 ounces)
- 1 ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Chop the broccoli florets and carrots, dice the onion and mince the garlic cloves. Pour the stock into a large saucepan and bring to a boil, adding the broccoli, onion, carrots, salt, pepper and garlic. Reduce heat and cook until broccoli is tender. Remove soup from heat and blend ingredients, either using a hand blender or by pouring batches of soup into a blender or food processor. Once fully blended, return soup to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half and two ounces of cheese. To serve, top with parsley and remaining cheese.