A Strong Voice in Health Care Reform
More than two years ago, when we became actively involved with health care reform, we had these main objectives in mind:
- Preserve dental benefits for the 166 million Americans who currently have them and the 135,700 dentists nationwide who contract with Delta Dental.
- Expand dental benefits for low-income adults and children with unmet needs.
- Keep costs associated with health care reform and any new regulation from adding to the overall cost of dental benefits administration for our customers.
- Join with larger dental benefits industry organizations across the nation so that together we could analyze and respond to Congressional proposals with a unified voice.
Our current activities include lobbying Health & Human Services and Congress for the following:
- Clarification of how and when stand-alone dental carriers can offer essential pediatric dental benefits outside, as well as inside, health care Exchanges beginning in 2014.
- A rational, affordable, essential dental benefits plan design for children.
- Adult dental coverage that can be sold on a voluntary basis in addition to the required children's dental coverage.
In general, Delta Dental supports legislation that allows stand-alone dental plans to compete both inside and outside Exchanges, as well preserve and build on coverage that already exist outside of Exchanges.