Make Over Your Grocery List
Don’t let your grocery-buying habits throw your healthy resolutions for a loop! Give your fridge and pantry a makeover with these mouth-friendly shopping tips. Here’s what to keep and what to toss.
- Keep: Milk
Toss: Chocolate milk
- Your mom was right: Drink your milk. Its calcium is good for your teeth and jawbone. People who get the right amount of calcium are also less likely to develop gum disease. But don’t minimize the health effects of this calcium-rich beverage by loading it up with cavity-causing sugars. Stick to plain, varieties — and remember to brush afterward.
- Keep: Water
- Whether you prefer sparkling, still or tap, water is always a great choice. Juices are loaded with sugar and empty calories, and they’re acidic. Water is sugar-free and keeps your mouth moist, which helps saliva rinse away food particles and bacteria from your teeth. Plus, if you live in an area that fluoridates its tap water, having a serving from your faucet also helps strengthen your tooth enamel.
- Keep: Yogurt
Toss: Ice cream
- Craving something sweet? Instead of filling your freezer with ice cream, make your own homemade frozen yogurt by combining four simple ingredients.
- Keep: Cucumbers and other crunchy veggies
- You may not think of reaching for veggies instead of your favorite bag of chips, but maybe you should! Cucumbers, cauliflower and other raw veggies offer the satisfying crunch you need, without adding starches that can stick to your teeth. And, they deliver tooth-strengthening vitamins and fiber. Wash and chop veggies as soon as you buy them so they’ll be ready for your next crunch attack.